Thursday, September 13, 2012

Measuring Progress in Wonderland

I am often asked what percentage better am I since the beginning of my TBI. Inquiring minds want to know! It seems like a good question … from the perspective of someone without a TBI. I used to have a numerical answer. When at three months I was 85% better and at one year I was even better at 50% better since the beginning, I gave up on numbers. That shifting number has twisted and turned, grown and shrunk, and finally turned into a bizarrely elusive concept. Like cutting a distance in half, and always finding you are at the same percentage there. I finally figured out why that is impossible to measure. 

"Let me see: four times five is twelve, and four times six is thirteen, and four times seven is -- oh dear! I shall never get to twenty at that rate!" -Alice

A baseball player is trained to make home runs. The goal, is to get around the whole field back to homebase. I have been trying to get to home base, back where I started batting from. We call that  “100% recovery”. When people ask “what percentage recovered are you?” They want to know, am I still on first base? Have I gotten to second? Am I on third and almost there? Are we there yet? Can we breathe a sigh of relief for you yet? How much longer?

Imagine this baseball player up at bat. He hits the ball and this time it goes through a wormhole and lands in another field. Being a baseball player and only knowing baseball, he keeps running, looking for home base, trying to get to the goal. The problem is, when he went through the wormhole, he landed in another universe. In this universe, the floor undulates, things appear to move when they aren’t, or closer, or farther away, he is drunk without drinking, and he can’t connect with anything through all this pea soup that the air has become. “Curiouser and curiouser! Everything just isn't as it seems”, he says to himself.

"Off with her head!" -The Queen
Being a well-trained baseball player, he starts running towards first, saying, “I have to get to homebase!”. He runs and runs, determined to make a run. He knows he is making progress towards his goal. “I must be 85% there!” he says. After a couple years of running through this pea soup, he wakes up and realizes that this is a different Universe. He has gone through a wormhole. There is no homebase here. He has gone through the Looking Glass. He has landed in Wonderland. There is no going back.

Nothing is the same as he once knew, and he is stuck in this world of pea soup. "Hmm", he wonders in a moment of existential confusion. "What to do? Where to go? I am trained to run towards home plate and goals. Where is the goal? Is “goal”even relevant in this Universe? or is there just BEingness? How does one just BE forever with no direction to turn to? How do I get comfortable with living in Wonderland?"






"I wonder if I've been changed in the night? Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?' Ah, that's the great puzzle!" -Alice


6 comments:

  1. Wow, Nat, that was an awesome post.

    I can really understand what you are talking about; how measurements that make sense in this universe have no application in the one you find yourself in.

    I have a shoulder injury that is maddening to me in how it seems so much better on one day and then hurts again as much as it did many months ago the next. Progress does not seem to go in a linear fashion.

    I find your sharing to be so inspiring and courageous. Your attitude is top notch.

    If I could suggest a strategy for you it would be that you declare ANY feeling of improvement, no matter how small, as reaching a new home base in the universe you occupy. That way you'll be arriving at home all the time and perhaps the momentum of that constant celebration might carry you back through the wormhole to the old universe someday. In either case you will be good.

    Much love to you.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your support! I am sorry your shoulder is giving you trouble. It is not possible to compare a TBI with any other injury though. It truly is another universe. The reason TBI survivors can't measure their progress is that the measuring insturment itself is skewed. It is referred to as "awareness" of one's symptoms, most of us lack. We might think and say we are totally fine when we arent'. Espeicallly in the beginging before we have tried to do thinkgs and nothing works like it should. It is more akin to being stuck on psychedelics than to a broken arm.

      I like your stratregy a lot!! That is my new game. Thank you, thatnk you!
      Love back atcha!
      Nathalie

      Delete
  2. Natalie, you are so spot on and I love your writing style! I will follow your blog. I invite you to check out my blog and I would be very interested in seeing what you have to say about it.
    http://mikesbigbrainbash.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mike. I am so honored to have your interest! I love your blog and lookd forward to diving into in more. It looks fantiactic. It is so true waht you say "I have died", to life with TBI Is to mourn out own death. I will comment on your blog whn my typing is legible! Thanks for yoru interest.

      Delete
  3. Exactly!! It's so hard to measure for many reasons. I am greatly improved, but fatigue is a MAJOR problem for me. When I am perfectly rested...I'm pretty good now, but as soon as I start to get tired everything falls apart rather quickly. And the smaller things that are wrong...I wouldn't know how to quantify them. Compared to how I was initially post injury, I am almost all better when fully rested. I have just started to feel almost "normal" in the mornings.....its really exciting since this is a first in almost 2years. As hard as it is to measure, I think keeping tract of where you are is really important....it helps you to see progress...which is hopeful. Best wishes, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nathalie,

    You are one of those people that I really admire. You have so many persistant deficits, it almost overwhelms me just reading about it. I have had such deficits and I know what it is like. Over the past 23 years I have gotten much better and it seemed at times that I couldn't take it anymore, but what else can a person do?

    Love your writing style. You're very good!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and tell me what you think!