Thursday, January 10, 2013

In a mere 48 hours, I am better.

In a mere 48 hours, I am better.

I am so delighted and astounded, I could sit with that sentence for days.

I just caught my first flu since my TBI (There’s one blessing of being isolated and avoiding crowded overstimulating places!) and once again, this TBI first (much like the post-child firsts or post-divorce firsts) shows me how much life has changed.

In the early TBI months I didn’t know what was wrong with me. My only reference for the headache, dizziness, exhaustion, fuzzy thinking I was feeling was having the flu.  My only reference for what to do was to go to bed and rest for a few days until I felt better. Only I rested and rested and rested. Months went by and I never felt better. Now I am counting years, 
like the slow growth of a redwood tree, and I am seeing a little improvement.

So to be over it in 48 hours? Shouting hallelujah!!! I am stunned and amazed. I used to be confused that I wasn’t over the TBI symptoms each day. I have gotten used to the fact that they improve at a SNAIL’S pace. Now I am just as confused to be over the flu so quickly. Have I forgotten that the body really does heal itself? Or am I am just always confused? I am confused about that too.

A virus used to feel hard and debilitating and no longer does. I love these markers in life that show us that we indeed have grown in some way. I find a thrill in the moments of discovery that something that used to be a challenge, no longer is. When you are running a marathon, a 5K becomes nothing. It is true, what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. It is also true, if you want your issues to disappear, take on a bigger problem.

In a mere 48 hours, I am better.

Wow.

4 comments:

  1. Bravo GF, that is so huge! That is one of the hardest aspects of brain injury, the never feeling good. I always felt like I could handle all the other deficits if I only felt better. I went from having an off day to having on off life. ;-)

    My latest victory is that I passed a trig and vector calc based physics course that was way over my head. After TBI rehab I thought I could do anything. The hang up with physics was that I had to learn it all so fast. If they would have handed me the text book and let me work through it, I could have learned it in about a year or two, but I only had one freakin' semester! Fortunately, that is all behind me now and I just have my Lit courses left, and those are much more up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Mike! BF that is huger! My jaw is on the floor. You are doing WHAT?!! You are an inspiration. I am so impressed. I don't think I could have done that without a TBI. A GIANT congratulations!!!

      Delete
  2. Thank You for sharing your story and the courage you lend to so many as they/we travel our own unique journeys. Many Blessings to you-forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn. Your words mean so much to me. It is hard to remember that we all make a difference and I appreciate the reminder today. Many blessings to you too!

      Delete

Leave a comment and tell me what you think!