Sunday, May 26, 2013

The Race Against the Bras

The Race Against the Bras officially ended today.

It started one post-TBI day when I looked at the aging bras in my drawer and wondered how in the world I was ever going to buy a new one. Malls are not possible. Even armed with dark glasses and earplugs, stepping into any store sends me into instant sensory overload. Fluorescent lights, inability to filter visual details, music, people moving, and the hundred decisions required, make for a near-lethal combination. Every color and every word on a package and every item jumps at me with equal intensity. I have no filter to tune out the millions of visual details and just find what I want. My visual field narrows to a peep hole, my dizziness grows, the floor disappears, I have no idea where my body is, and I am nauseous

The anxiety escalates despite deep breathing and positive self-talk and ten minutes into it, I am having a total meltdown and needing to dash outside, purchase completed or not. My internal time bomb is ticking when I step into a store, and I know I have limited time before I explode. Every woman knows you just can’t buy a bra in ten minutes. You have to try on twenty to fit one that fits. There was no way I could do this.

There was only one solution. I had to get better before all my bras wore out. The race against the bras began. I was going to win this thing. 

Nearly three years later, I have gotten good at paring my life down to the bare necessities and doing without. I am down to two bras: the one with the wires poking out of the seams and into my ribs, and the crazy leopard skin one that doesn’t fit that I bought as a spoof five years ago. It’s really time.... and I still can’t go into a store for more than ten minutes. Does that mean I’ve lost the race?


Compensatory strategies to the rescue! Instead of going to the Department Store or TJ Max I went to the high end boutique, grabbed the nearest saleslady and ask for help. Wow, no music, no florescent lights, and efficiency. I am out of there in no time... at three times the price. Such is the price of victory. Brain injury is expensive in ways I never dreamed.

I am not better in the way I thought I would be, but I am better in finding my way. Since I made up the race, I get to make up the winner. I could say I lost or I could say I won. They are both true. Life is all in the attitude right? You get to chose if you are a winner or a loser. Do you beat yourself up for being a loser or do acknowledge the ways you are winning? What story do you want to spin? I recommend the one that makes you feel better.

Today, one more mountain has been conquered. I won the race against the bras.

8 comments:

  1. As a fellow brain injury survivor, I am glad to see that you are sharing your esperiences with the World at large. I have often had to leave stores of all sorts due to sensory overload and accompanying anxiety attacks. I shop on-line for things that I can't get in small, local shops and get my groceries first thing in the morning before the crowds show up. After 16 years, I can sometimes go into a mall, mid-week - no holidays or weekends... People just cannot understand the complete overwhelm or the all-encompassing brain shutdown that follows.... Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I am glad my stories vailidate your experience too. Peopel do not understnd and that is why I feel so compleeled to explanin it for all of us. I am sure you have people say "I feel overwhelmed in stores too" shich feels so ridiculous and there is just no way to explain to them the gap between what you are syaing and what theya re saying. Soory, I am having a bad tyingp day! Blessinggs on your courageous journey!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for writing. Your difficulty puts things in perspective for me and makes me grateful for those things I normally take for granted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your commetn Stan. Isn't perspective valuable? We can always find someone you has it toughter than we do adn remembering taht is the key to kindness and happiness. Blessing on your day!

      Delete
  3. Love the honesty and openness of your post. Kudos on your resilience and persistence! I'm very amused by the graphic with the support bras - brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Christy! I think that the raw honesty is part of the brain injury. My old self would have never posted this, or any of this blog actually. There is a nakedness comes witht he terrritory. They call it lack of filters. I call it being whole and not second guessing ourselves or having the brain pwer to wonder what everyone else thinks. Only a dualistic mind can do that. I am glad you like the graphic too. I was sto tickled to find it!

      Delete
  4. Nathalie, what a great post! Just loved it. And I can totally relate.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and tell me what you think!